Alzheimer's Reminiscence Program
For seniors with Alzheimer's, Sunrise Senior Living offers specially designed Reminiscence Neighborhoods. This care program focuses on helping each resident experience pleasant days while also maintaining their dignity and individuality. Backed by the latest research, our staff designs personalized programs that can include multi-sensory experiences, daily exercise and outings, group activities and visits with children and pets, depending on the individual.
Our Reminiscence Program offers a variety of Alzheimer's care elements designed to engage residents and nurture their spirit. Every neighborhood is a secure environment that features Life Skills Centers and Reminiscence kits that help involve residents in familiar and engaging daily routines such as gardening, sewing, office work and household chores.
Sunrise is an Authorized Validation Organization, training team members in the Validation © Method of interacting with those living with Alzheimer's. Validation is a method of communicating with and helping those who are disoriented that allows for better understanding and communication between those with dementia and their caregivers. It helps to reduce stress, enhance dignity and increase happiness. By being empathetic and seeing through the eyes of those with memory loss, Alzheimer's caregivers are able to better understand the meaning of their actions and words. Visit the Validation Training Institute’s website, here.
Individualized Service Plan (ISP), Services & Amenities
At Sunrise, we believe that every individual has their own needs and preferences, and so we meet with each resident and family before they move in -- and at regular intervals afterwards -- to help determine appropriate care and service. A team of our community professionals composed of the executive director, Reminiscence coordinator, health care coordinator, and designated care manager work together to create an individualized plan that is monitored on a daily basis and is updated based on the individual’s changing Alzheimer's care needs. We focus on preserving each resident’s dignity, encouraging independence and enabling freedom of choice. The resident-centered Alzheimer's care plan might include:
- help with personal hygiene and grooming
- dressing and clothes selection
- showering and bathing
- assistance with eating
- continence management
- medication management
Sunrise Services & Amenities Offer More Value
Services and amenities vary by location, but all Sunrise communities providing Alzheimer’s care generally provide the following:
- Therapeutic activities including social, educational, devotional and recreational programs
- Specially memory care trained team to meet the unique needs of Alzheimer's residents available 24 hours a day
- Monthly wellness visits by a licensed nurse
- Living spaces designed to help Alzheimer's and dementia care residents function as independently as possible
- Private or companion suites with a choice of floor plans, comfortable quality furnishings and artwork, and wall-to-wall carpeting
- Emergency call response system in each suite
- Variety of comfortable community areas including elegant community dining room, private dining room for family or guests, café/tea room, 24-hour bistro, sunroom, media, television, and living room areas are specially designed to improve the memory care process
- Secured walking paths surrounded by beautifully manicured and maintained landscaping, gardens and grounds
- Alzheimer's care residents passionate about gardening are often involved as part of the memory care outing program
- Fire safety system
- Weekly housekeeping and daily trash removal
- Weekly personal laundry (except dry cleaning)
- Concierge services
- Full service beauty/barber shop (additional cost)
Find an Alzheimer's & Memory Care community near you. Sunrise has developed tools to help caregivers with their everyday role of caring for someone with Alzheimer's. Click here to view our Memory Care Resources.