A Sunrise Recipe: Cheesy Squash Casserole
Local, fresh summer squash makes this recipe a favorite for the residents at Sunrise of Decatur, GA, and our chef recommends using any combination of squash, such as pattypan, yellow crookneck or zucchini squash.
And, while normally enjoyed fresh, this is a great side dish to freeze for leftovers.
Cheesy Squash Casserole
Serves 10 – 12
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 sleeve butter crackers, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add the squash and onion. Sautee until soft.
- Transfer the vegetables to a bowl. Stir in the cheeses and sour cream. Season to taste.
- Spoon the squash mixture into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with the cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 350°F until bubbling and golden brown, about 20 – 30 minutes.