A Sunrise Recipe: Turkey Chili
This recipe is a consecutive winner at Sunrise of Carmichael’s annual chili and rub cook-off. The smell of this dish simmering is the perfect way to bring in the crisp fall season.
Nutrition Fact: Turkey is a great low-fat protein, with a 4-ounce portion of skinless turkey breast providing 30-35 grams of protein and less than 1 gram of fat.
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 small onions, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups corn
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ cups pinto beans, cooked
- 1 ½ cups kidney beans, cooked
- 1 cup dark ale
- 1 cup beef stock
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook turkey in a large pot until browned.
- Add spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add vegetables. Sauté until soft.
- Add beans, beer, stock, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Season to taste. Cook for 1 hour.
- Serve with cornbread and shredded cheese if desired.