Sunrise Senior Living is working to bring seniors and their families high-quality assisted living and memory care services through a new community in Etobicoke. This 94-unit building will be located at 1455 Royal York Rd., offering a convenient location for families and friends who want to be near their aging loved ones in a supportive environment. To date, Sunrise has established nine communities in Ontario, with fifteen communities across Canada.
About the Project - Sunrise of Etobicoke
- Located within the Humber Heights-Westmount neighbourhood, an area that is generally bounded by St. Phillips Road and the Humber River to the north and northeast, with the Humber River continuing along the east border of the neighbourhood, Eglinton Avenue West to the south and Royal York Road to the west.
- The Proposed Development comprises a 4-storey Sunrise Assisted Living and Memory Care building, providing assisted living units and memory care units (94 units total; 37 assisted living; 57 memory care).
- The total gross floor area is proposed to be 7,842 square metres, for a total density of 1.63 times the area of the site.
- The Proposed Development will include a number of setbacks and stepbacks and rise to a total height of 15.8 metres.
- Parking is proposed to be located in one underground level, totaling 50 parking spaces, and accessed via a driveway entrance from Chapman Road. There will be eight (8) short-term bicycle parking spaces at grade for employees and visitors.
- 1,377 square metres of indoor amenity space comprised of a lounge, bistro, parlour, dining halls and activity rooms.
- The proposed development is located within close proximity of schools, retail, banks, a pharmacy and places of worship.
Process and Timeline
ZBA and SPA – zoning by law amendment and site plan application timeline:
- The ZBA and SPA initial applications were submitted to the City on June 29, 2020
- Notice of Complete Applications was issued by the City on September 9, 2020 and review of the application is expected to take 9 months to a year
- Development signs approved by the City are currently on the site as of October 18, 2020
- The Preliminary Report went to the Community Council November 3, 2020
- A Community Consultation Meeting was hosted by City Planning and the Councillor’s office and was held on January 18, 2021
- Zoning by-law amendment approval is expected mid 2021
- Final site plan approval is expected early 2022