Is It Time for Senior Living?
- This is a highly personal decision
- It can feel like an emotional reckoning
- Signs to watch for can be a big help
- Talk it over—more than once
Expanding Your Options with Senior Living
These days, people are living longer, more active lives. The picture of aging is more fun than ever, which also means choosing to move into a senior living community is more nuanced than it was years ago. There is a wide spectrum of senior living experiences designed for older adults who value their independence but need some support with daily activities.
For some active older adults, suggesting a move to senior living might meet with resistance, so it's helpful to keep a few things in mind as meaningful signs that it’s time to consider a transition.
If you or your loved one answer yes to one or more of the following questions, it’s a good time to consider senior living.
- Is keeping your house and yard in order becoming cumbersome?
- Are there days when showering or bathing is too difficult to manage on your own?
- Does getting together with friends or family seem increasingly unappealing?
- Is it becoming harder to move around the house safely?
- Have you routinely forgotten more than a few meals?
- Is decision making becoming more difficult?
- Does driving no longer feel 100 percent safe?
- Have bills and other financial obligations been slipping?
From assisting with daily chores and personal need-based care to surrounding residents with a vibrant community that opens up options for activity and connection, senior living communities can help residents keep doing the things they love and provide support to lead a more carefree life.
At Sunrise, our senior living communities offer a personal experience with different levels of assistance and care tailored to each individual. Our residents are able to retain their independence by getting help with the day-to-day maintenance of life, including household chores, cooking, care coordination, and transportation. With fewer daily tasks to worry about, residents can have more time to do the things that make life exciting—from engaging activities and events to dining on fresh meals among friends.
You can always talk to a team member of a Sunrise community in your area about all the options available to you.