Alzheimer's Reminiscence Program
At Sunrise, we care for our residents living with Alzheimer’s, dementia, and other forms of memory loss by focusing on each unique individual, not the disease or lost abilities. We take the time to get to know the resident and his or her experiences, talents, preferences, and abilities, so that we may provide pleasant days.
We offer specially designed Reminiscence Neighborhoods that provide an environment based upon comfort and security.
Life Enrichment Manager
Each Reminiscence resident is assigned a designated Life Enrichment Manager (LEM) who is responsible for creating a care plan based on the resident’s personal preferences, in order to help experience meaning and purpose each day.
Every Reminiscence team member learns to see the world through each resident’s eyes. Team members are trained to use the techniques of the Validation Method in order to empathize with each resident and enhance their dignity.
Sunrise is an Authorized Validation Organization. Find out more about the Validation Training Institute.
Validation Method techniques include:
- Centering to allow for complete focus on the resident
- Asking open-ended questions
- Making genuine eye contact
- Matching resident’s emotion
Reminiscence Care Plans
The Sunrise Reminiscence Program provides personalized programs that can include multisensory experiences, daily exercise and outings, group activities, and visits with children and pets, depending on the person.
A Reminiscence care plan may include:
- Help with personal hygiene and grooming
- Dressing and clothes selection
- Showering and bathing
- Assistance with eating
- Continence management
- Medication management
Find an Alzheimer's & memory care community near you.
Services and amenities vary by location, but all Sunrise cities providing Alzheimer’s care generally provide the following:
- Therapeutic activities, including social, education, devotional, and recreational programs
- Team members specially trained in memory care devoted to meeting the unique needs of Alzheimer’s residents, available 24 hours a day
- Monthly wellness visits by a licensed nurse
- Living spaces designed to help Alzheimer’s and dementia care residents function as independently as possible
- Private or companion suites with a choice of floor plans and comfortable furnishings
- Emergency call response system in each suite
- Variety of comfortable community areas, including:
- Community dining room
- Private dining room for family or guests
- Café/tea room
- 24-hour bistro
- Media/television/living room areas all designed specifically for memory care residents
Find our library of memory care resources here.