Assisted living communities are often considered to be an ideal combination of independence and support for older adults. Residents of assisted living communities appreciate the privacy that comes from having their own suite or apartment while also knowing that caregivers are always nearby when needed, and they also value the connections they can build with fellow residents through robust activity and event programs.
Since 1995, the National Center for Assisted Living (NCAL) has been hosting National Assisted Living Week® and encouraging member organizations to participate. The week is an opportunity to shine a spotlight on all of the benefits assisted living communities have to offer. The theme of this year’s National Assisted Living Week® is “Joyful Moments.” Organized by the American Health Care Association (AHCA) and (NCAL), this year’s celebration will take place the week of September 11.
If you are a senior or an adult child of one, you might be wondering why assisted living is so popular. From life enrichment to affordability and safety, let’s take a look at all of the benefits these communities like Sunrise’s can offer.
5 Benefits of Assisted Living
- Opportunities to Make Friends & Connections: When an older adult lives alone, especially if they struggle with mobility or lack transportation, the result can often be isolation and loneliness. There’s ample research linking isolation to a variety of health issues among older adults. Some experts liken senior isolation to the health risks associated with smoking and obesity. Socially isolated older adults experience higher incidences of medical issues ranging from diabetes to depression. By contrast, residents in an assisted living community benefit from having a variety of daily activities in which they can participate with their fellow residents. Those opportunities both inside and outside of the communities help improve socialization and reduce the risks associated with isolation. These connections also provide endless hours of fun and new memories!
- Nutrition & Variety: Preparing healthy meals for one person or a couple can feel like a burden as you grow older. Between menu planning, grocery shopping, and cooking, the process can become a struggle. This may lead seniors to turn to fast food restaurants, frozen meals or even skipped meals instead of healthier, home-cooked meals. In an assisted living community, residents benefit from a dining program with a choice of menu options that can be selected throughout the day. At Sunrise communities, the culinary teams prepare homemade meals for a variety of preferences including special diets and work with residents to create dishes that they loved eating as kid or that is important to their culture.
- Experience New Things: With the availability of different social activities, assisted living communities make it easier for residents to try new things. From learning to paint or studying a new subject, life at an assisted living community like Sunrise is catered to meet the needs of residents and how they want to live their lives. For many residents, living in a community is one of the first times they haven’t had the responsibility of children, home maintenance, work and more, so they are able to explore old and new passions in a safe and comfortable environment. Many Sunrise residents have restarted old passions like sewing and quilting while others have taken up new ones like poetry writing. The options are endless!
- Support & Safety: Household chores and personal care can become more challenging with age. They can even increase an older adult’s risk for a fall, which is the leading cause of serious injury for people over 65. In an assisted living community, everything from lawn care to appliance repair is included. Caregivers are onsite 24/7 to assist with bathing, grooming, and other personal needs. Even the environment itself is designed with safety in mind without feeling clinical. Barrier-free showers, grab bars in bathrooms, handrails in hallways, and emergency call alert systems are all seamlessly designed to fit into the interiors crafted by Sunrise’s in-house design team.
- Medication Management: Medication errors are another potential hazard for older adults. From taking too much of one prescription to skipping another one completely, it can be difficult for seniors to stay on track with dosages and times. It can be a dangerous situation that might result in a trip to a hospital emergency department. A service most residents in assisted living communities take advantage of is medication management. Nurses provide reminders to ensure residents take the correct medication and dose at the proper time.
U.S. News & World Report Recognizes Sunrise Communities
Every year, U.S. News & World Report rates senior living communities on a variety of features, benefits, and services. For assisted living communities, ranking factors include care, location, costs, previous complaints, activities, and programs, as well as food and dining. Sunrise Senior Living is humbled to share that 48 of our communities were ranked in the ‘Best Assisted Living’ category.
Visit U.S. News & World Report Names 95 Sunrise Communities to Best Senior Living Ratings for 2022-2023 to read more about this designation and view a list of Sunrise communities that received distinctions in other categories as well!